The Boat



What's the boat you are afraid to step out of?

That's the question my pastor asked me and the rest of the people in church today.  We have been studying Matthew 14 and what led up to the disciples getting in the boat before the storm came. Today we studied the same story in Matthew 8. 


18 When Jesus saw the crowd around him, he gave orders to cross to the other side of the lake. 19 Then a teacher of the law came to him and said, “Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go.”20 Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”
21 Another disciple said to him, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”
22 But Jesus told him, “Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.”

When my pastor first asked me that question, I instantly thought of a physical place that I would consider my boat: my house or the Twin Cities to get broader. As many of you know I am looking for a teaching job right now. I have limited my search to easy or "safe" districts.  Suburbs are my safe place. Doing things with people I know and am close to would be my boat. This leads me to the next question he asked: What storms stir up my fear? 
That answer came even quicker than the last question: lack of control, lack of job. In my mind those two things go hand in hand. I can't provide a job for  myself and I have no control over anything in my life. 
Then his third question was if Jesus said " come" how far would you go? 
My mind was shouting anywhere you would go, I will go Jesus, because you will never leave or forsake me.  But my heart still had a hard time trusting.
He concluded with whether you stay in the boat or step out, you will go through a storm, it could be the storm of mediocrity or the storm of hardship but Jesus will be with you during that storm and help you overcome it .
I am challenged to surrender my control & step out of the boat to see where Jesus will take me. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

decisions

Planet Wisdom

Life